Walking Leader Training
***Please Note: Before committing to the training, it is important to remember that the aim of each course is to have a panel of trained leaders ready to implement their skills in their own communities. We will therefore expect all participants to organise walks on a regular basis after the course has ended. ***
The Training Weekend
- Current recommendations for health-enhancing physical activity for adults, and how they relate to walking
- The main elements of a health-enhancing walking session
- Prescribing walking programmes suitable for people of different fitness levels
- Advice on issues such as posture, technique, stretching, intensity, clothing, etc.
- Safety issues
- Planning walking sessions and programmes
- Developing a Slí na Sláinte route
- How to start your own walking group
- Practical Walking Sessions
If you have any further questions about the course please don’t hesitate to contact us by emailing
email@example.com or calling Tara Curran at 01-6685001.
Irish Heart Foundation and Sport Ireland are subsidising the Walking Leader Training weekend and there is a nominal cost of €50. The course fee will cover your tutor costs and materials. It will also include 2 lunches and tea/coffee breaks throughout the weekend.