“Get out, Get Walking, improve your 5 ways to wellbeing”
Connect, Be Active, Take Notice, Keep Learning & Give
Join us for launch event 4k Family Walk in Emo Community Centre with special guest Olympian Jessie Barr, Zumba warm ups and face painting.
Everyone knows how a good walk can help you collect your thoughts, especially at stressful times – but there’s more to it than that. Walking improves your overall well-being, and helps fight depression. Even just being in the outdoors in green natural spaces is beneficial to your mental health. And walking can even help you make new friends.
- Walking, like other physical activities, releases endorphins which improve mood and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Regular walking improves sleep patterns.
- Active people have a reduced risk of suffering clinical depression.
- Regular physical activity is at least as effective as antidepressant drugs in treating mild and moderate depression – and has positive rather than negative side effects.
- Exploring your community on foot makes you feel more at home there and makes you more likely to talk to people and make friends.
- Walking in a group is a sociable activity that can help improve mental health and overcome feelings of isolation.
- Spending time in the outdoors and in contact with the natural environment – for example by walking in parks, woodland and green spaces – can have a positive effect on mental health.
- Feeling fitter and controlling weight helps improve your body image and confidence.
Don’t miss the excellent opportunity to join us in getting motivated and getting active.
Laois Sports Partnership are delighted to support all the walking groups hosting walks throughout the week and especially to our new Get Ireland Walking groups. The GIA Active Community Walking Programme aims to support the creation of vibrant walking communities throughout Ireland. This programme works with communities to increase the capacity and potential of people with low levels of physical activity to become more active through walking. Interested in setting up a walking group in your area contact us for further information Laois Sports Partnership (057) 8671238 or email firstname.lastname@example.org